Wave extreme on the Coast - WAX-Coast
Extreme conditions anywhere in the Mediterranean Sea
Quickly obtain the information you need, directly from our web platform
Using high resolution simulations
WAX-Coast performs on-demand wave simulation, at the location of your interest
State of the art extreme analysis
Get extreme values of wave heights / water height in just a few clicks
What is WAX-Coast ?
WAX-Coast is an online operational costal monitoring service (downstream) -built with safety and disaster prevention in mind- for both insurance companies and coastal infrastructure designers.It aims to provide an accurate representation of the extreme ocean conditions, at any given point in the Mediterranean Sea.
WAX-Coast manages to get accurate Wave extreme analysis even near the shoreline, by setting up a dedicated numerical simulation -on the fly- around the user's location of the interest.
The WAX-Coast service and its products will only be updated once a year - during the first calendar quarter - once the climatology for the previous year has become available, in order to ensure a full calendar year is added each time.
How does it work ?
The WAX-Coast service works in 3 major steps:
- 1You select your location of interest, simply by clicking on a map
- 2WAX-Coast will then pull all available metocean data from the Copernicus Marine Service:
- Sea state conditions from the Mediterranean sea waves analysis and forecast dataset (MEDSEA_ANALYSIS_FORECAST_WAV_006_017)
- Physical conditions from the Mediterranean sea physics analysis and forecast dataset (MEDSEA_ANALYSIS_FORECAST_PHY_006_013)
Their spatial coverage, temporal resolution and their overall accuracy provide WAX-Coast excellent input data.From them, WAX-Coast will automatically build a numerical simulation mesh and forcing conditions in order to run a full featured wave model at the requested location, thus greatly improving the accuracy of the data in complex areas, such as coastline's surroundings.
- 3Finally, WAX-Coast will analyse both the Copernicus Marine Service datasets and the data it produced itself, to build handy representions of the metocean conditions at the provided points, including:
- Waves, winds and currents roses averaged annually and monthly,
- Time series most common metocean variables,
- Extreme values of wave heights, with return periods up to 10 years,
- Extreme values of wave water, including the storm surge
- Validation plots, thanks to the insitu mesurments provided in the Mediterranean sea in-situ near real time observations dataset (INSITU_MED_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_013_035)
Access the service
- Fully online
- Covers every coast of the Mediterranean Sea
- Extreme significant wave height with a return period of 1, 5 and 10 year
- Extreme water height with storm surge